Cycles of Change works to improve the health and sustainability of our neighborhoods by increasing the use of bicycles as transportation, connecting youth with the extraordinary living systems of our local area, and building a diverse community of visionary young leaders.
We began in 1998 at Roosevelt Middle School in East Oakland and we've grown steadily to sites all over Alameda County. Check out our current programs:
- After School Bike Clubs: Give youth opportunities to learn bicycle mechanics, earn bikes of their own, and go on pedal-powered adventures that explore our neighborhoods and beyond!
- Upcycle: Offers refurbished commuter bicycles and road safety training to adult low-income residents. By having a reliable, economically sustainable, and physically active mode of transportation, more people can access the opportunities, resources, and many other benefits that biking offers and inspires, helping build more healthy, vibrant communities.
- The Bikery Community Bike Shop: A Community bike shop located in East Oakland, committed to utilizing bikes as a creative and necessary movement-building tool for social and environmental justice. Makes healthy and reliable transportation accessible to all through their earn-a-bike programs, tools and advice for people fixing their bikes, repair classes, and safe riding instruction.
- Safe Routes to Schools: Educates high school, middle school, and elementary school students in safe riding techniques, so that they can build the skills and confidence to bike safely to school.
- Watershed Stewardship: We developed a six-week course for science classes called “Watershed Guides.” This year our youth ambassadors will working with businesses and schools to keep pollutants out of our storm drains.
By taking part in Cycles’ programs, youth and adults gain strong and lasting connections to the living world and the larger community. These connections become a foundation for reshaping the relationships between people and land to make our urban neighborhoods healthy and sustainable.