Cycles of Change
Bicycle Safety Educator
Safe Routes to School “Drive Your Bike” Program
Cycles of Change has 3 Educator positions available for our Safe Routes to School Bike Safety Education Program.
Cycles of Change is a 19 year old, collectively run, non-profit dedicated to improving the lives of East Bay residents by providing a variety of bicycle education programs for youth and adults.
About Safe Routes To Schools (SR2S)
SR2S is an international movement to create opportunities for children to walk, bicycle, and take alternative transit to and from schools, with a particular emphasis on low-income schools. SR2S is intended to reverse the alarming trend toward childhood obesity and inactivity and to reduce the production of greenhouse gas emissions that lead to climate change. Visit http://alamedacountysr2s.org/ to find out more about the existing Alameda County Safe Routes To Schools program.
The Safe Routes to School “Drive Your Bike” Program at Cycles of Change serves Elementary, Middle, and High Schools throughout the East Bay by teaching a 5 day Bike Safety program to classes of 20-50 students during and after school. The “Drive your Bike” curriculum is hands-on and takes students from the classroom, to learning skills on the blacktop, to riding on the street. The model is tailored to the structure of the school day, the age of the students, and the schedule of a one day special event.
Visit www.cyclesofchange.org/programs/safe-routes-to-school/ for more information about the program.
Cycles Of Change seeks an energetic, friendly, creative, flexible, and organized individual with good communication and group management skills to help facilitate our Bike Safety Education Program!
- Teach the curriculum in the classroom, on the blacktop, and on the road.
- Work with school teachers to be a part of facilitating and participating in the curriculum.
- Maintain students’ physical and emotional safety.
- Maintain security, organization, and functionality of bicycles and equipment at each site.
- Haul bicycle fleets and equipment from storage sites to schools sites.
- Ensure paperwork such as permissions slips and written student tests are distributed and collected.
- De-escalate emergencies and administer first aid if necessary.
- Problem solve ways to integrate the program in each unique school setting.
- Work cooperatively with program coordinators, school teachers, and other Bike Safety Educators
Qualifications & Desired Qualities
We are looking for an individual with:
- Experience with East Bay youth and schools
- A solid understanding and practice of bicycle commuting, safety, and mechanics
- The ability to speak loudly for prolonged amounts of time indoors and outdoors.
- Effective communication skills, ability to give and receive constructive criticism, and active listening skills
- Personal qualities such as a positive attitude, good intuition, self-management, dependability, patience, respect for peers and youth, and a passion for teaching.
- Experience with managing large groups of young people
- A history of good working relationships with diverse populations, communities, and a high level of cultural competency
- Experience working within a collective setting
- Proficient communication in Spanish a plus
Additional opportunities to participate in Cycles of Change work may be available, particularly for people who have skills and experience in fundraising, finance, outreach, public relations, human resources, and volunteer coordination.
Work Schedule & Compensation
The work schedule is variable. Most shifts will be scheduled during the school day with occasional evenings and weekends. This is an on-call, part time position that runs on the academic calendar, and typically runs 8-30 hours per week. Scheduling will be based on your flexibility and availability.
Start Date: beginning of September with 5-15 hours per week until mid-September, increasing to up to 30 hours a week after that point.
Compensation: starts at $19.25 / hour. + paid travel time from Fruitvale Bart to School Site, may be higher depending on experience and skills
This job description is not meant to be all-inclusive. It is understood that the employee will also perform other reasonable related duties if requested. This position description is not a written or an implied contract. It will be reviewed periodically and may be revised if deemed necessary. Performance reviews will be conducted annually.
Our staff is focused on making positive change in the world and supports and celebrates diversity. Cycles of Change is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, women, and individuals who identify as queer are strongly encouraged to apply.
To Apply – Send a cover letter addressing your experience working in education and your experience with bikes as well as a resume to:
Cycles of Change: Safe Routes to School Educator Position