Cycles of Change is hiring educators for our in-school and after-school bike education programs!
Cycles of Change is a 21 year old, collectively run, non-profit organization dedicated to improving the health and sustainability of our neighborhoods by increasing the use of bicycles as transportation, connecting youth with the extraordinary living systems of our local area, and building a diverse community of visionary young leaders.
Cycles of Change seeks energetic, friendly, creative, flexible, and organized individuals with good communication and group facilitation skills to be a part of our amazing bike education team!
- Teach the curriculum in the classroom, on the blacktop, and on the road
- Work with school teachers to be a part of facilitating and participating in the curriculum
- Maintain students’ physical and emotional safety
- Maintain security, organization, and functionality of bicycles and equipment at each site
- Haul bicycle fleets and equipment from storage sites to schools sites
- Ensure paperwork such as permissions slips and student surveys are distributed and collected
- De-escalate emergencies and administer first aid if necessary
- Problem solve ways to integrate the program in each unique school setting
- Work cooperatively with program coordinators, school teachers, and other Cycles of Change Educators
- Participating in periodic peer evaluations
Qualifications & Desired Qualities
We are looking for an individual with:
- Experience with youth development, or other education-related work
- Commitment to working with and uplifting Oakland youth
- A solid understanding and practice of bicycle commuting and traffic safety
- Effective communication skills, ability to give and receive constructive criticism, and active listening skills
- Positive attitude, good intuition, self-management, accountability, dependability, patience, respect for peers and youth, and a passion for teaching
- A history of good working relationships with diverse populations, communities, and a high level of cultural competency
- Proficient communication in Spanish
- Experience with bicycle mechanics
- Experience with facilitating large groups of young people
- Education-related experience with Oakland youth and schools
- Experience working within a collective setting
- The ability to speak loudly for prolonged amounts of time indoors and outdoors
Additional opportunities to participate in Cycles of Change work may be available in other program areas, as well as administrative areas, such as fundraising, finance, outreach, public relations, human resources, and volunteer coordination. Please make note if you are interested in any other areas of work.
Work Schedule & Compensation
The work schedule is variable. Shifts may be scheduled during the school day, after school, and/or with occasional evenings and weekends. This is an on-call, part time position that runs on the academic calendar, and may run from 4-24 hours per week. Scheduling will be based on your flexibility and availability.
Starts at $19.25 / hour. Partial paid travel time may be available for some programs.
This job description is not meant to be all-inclusive. It is understood that the employee will also perform other reasonably related duties if requested. This position description is not a written or an implied contract. Cycles of Change is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, women, and individuals who identify as queer and/or trans are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please send a cover letter and resume (with On-call Educator Position in the subject heading) to: firstname.lastname@example.org